If you want to watch the Tempest movie it is 3 bucks to rent on youtube:
https://youtu.be/W8gGvsK_ibc
It is the same price on Amazon Prime — the version of the Tempest I recommend is directed by Julie Tamor and stars Hellen Mirren and is from 2010. I don’t recommend watching any other version because they are TERRIBLE I am pretty sure.
so is Othello speech a metaphor of Shakespeare reminding us that Othello isn't a bad person? because in the speech he was saying when he dies that the people talk about him in a good way as a soldier and just forget the part he killed Desdemona. also I know allegory of the cave a good example of illusion but does the shadow in the cave represent addition ?
ReplyDeleteI don’t think he does say that they should forget that he killed Desdemona —he asks I think to be remembered accurately which includes the good and the bad. I am not following your question about the cave because I am not sure what you mean by addition?
DeleteI think the slavery in America idea could also be link to colonisation by Europeans. In history one of the many ways they learned more about the island was through the natives.Caliban is indigenous to the island while Prospero could be seen as a coloniser that enslave him after having enough information on how he could survive on the island.
ReplyDeleteNakeisha Cantzlaar
My biggest takeaway from the beginning of the Tempest is that Prospero seems like he was extremely willing to renounce his dukehood but cannot let go of holding power over people. Ariel, Caliban, Miranda, and people passing nearby his island all fall under his locus of control. It seems like a lot of foreshadowing takes place at the beginning- especially when Prospero promises to free Ariel in a few days but seems to have promised that before, and shows how much he depends on Ariel. It seems as though he will not follow through on his promise. When Prospero makes attempts to distance Miranda and Ferdinand to strengthen their love, it makes me think that his meddling might come back to bite him later.
ReplyDelete-Chloe Friedman
I think this is a good point — ahtough in his old life he very willingly let go of power over people — he was SUPPOSED to have power over his subjects but decided to hang out in the library ignoring people and put his brother in charge of the people. So maybe he is making up for his mistake in his old life by controlling everyone here!
DeleteSince Prospero is a metaphor for Shakespeare, and since Ariel creates the illusions, does that mean that Ariel is a metaphor for let's say Shakespeare's inspiration or the words he used to create this world of illusion which is the play. I do not know if you follow what I mean. Like Prospero uses Ariel to create illusions, Shakespeare uses words to create the illusion of this world.
ReplyDeleteSarah-Jane Mahotiere
I think that totally works but I always thought of Ariel as being a metaphor for Shakespeare’s actors!
Delete