Labels

Friday, April 17, 2020

101: Let’s Start David Foster Wallace!

Let’s start looking at David Foster Wallace, which is going to be half of Paper 4, at the end of term. If you need it email me and I will email it to you. 


4 comments:

  1. I believe that it is ok to kill animals for food, like we have discussed before we are only used to what we experience in this city other countries even my own have different cultures for food and animals that even change drastically from regions or state to state, as long as no part of the animal is going to waste there should be no issue with consuming and animal just like it happens out in nature when an animal dies all of it is consumed back by nature in my opinion its just the circle of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you don’t live in nature — you live in a civilization, with computers and airplanes. Is there an argument to be made that you should hold yourself to a higher standard than “what happens in nature.” In nature weak animals don’t survive, but I would not want, for example, to have to kill off sick children to mimic what nature would do to them if they were animals and not people in a city with a hospital. So consider objections on this and thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Most of all, I have watched a documentary TV program which is about slaughtering animal (Cows) a few years ago, and I clearly remember a scene that cows show tears because they know a moment they are going to be slaughtered when they get into a truck. I was very shocked and so sad by watching it. However, the most shocking thing was that a cow-raiser (a cow farmer) casually put the cows that had been raised for years in the car to move to the slaughterhouse while the cows showed tears. It served as an opportunity to think about human cruelty and duality, and It is the most ethical issue which is animal rights. As you mentioned in the lecture, it is so “Funny” fact because most Americans or people around the world believe that eating dogs and cats are insane stuff, but they enjoy eating beef, pork, chicken and more. The reason why I said it is funny here is that how people to distinguish animals that can eat, and animals that cannot be eaten. Is cuteness the standard? There are many people who hate appearance chauvinism, and they judge animals that can be eaten by their cuteness (human duality). Therefore, we need to seriously think about eating meat or seafood because they are living creatures. Which means, they feel pain and emotion as we human do and they have their own rights to live. As some people might know, we do not have any rights to kill animals. Now, I am not saying we must stop eating animals right now because I am still meat lover, but we should seriously think about “Eating Meat” at least as a human being.

    -Jinah Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great point! I might have shown a documentary like that in class but with everyone home because of the pandemic it felt like I didnt want to pile on depressing stuff!

      Delete

INSTRUCTIONS ABOUT COMMENTING!!! If you are a current student of mine please include your first and last name somewhere. (You don’t have to log in to make a comment, but if you log in with your gmail account your name and image will be there automatically). Ask QUESTIONS, or give OPINIONS WITH REASONS or ADD something to the discussion with EXAMPLES! If for some reason your comments disappear — JUST EMAIL ME YOUR COMMENTS