CUNY’s Spring 2020 term was moved online in March. This is where his classes live till the end of term. Those classes are ENG101-1403, ENG201-1609, ENG250-118w and ENG373-120w. BEFORE YOU START USING THIS SITE CLICK THE CLASS YOU ARE IN BELOW TO REVEAL POSTS FOR YOU (if you don’t do that you will see posts from all my classes)
Thursday, April 2, 2020
101: Socrates and WRITING
9 comments:
INSTRUCTIONS ABOUT COMMENTING!!! If you are a current student of mine please include your first and last name somewhere. (You don’t have to log in to make a comment, but if you log in with your gmail account your name and image will be there automatically). Ask QUESTIONS, or give OPINIONS WITH REASONS or ADD something to the discussion with EXAMPLES! If for some reason your comments disappear — JUST EMAIL ME YOUR COMMENTS
If i don't use any quote from anywhere from the internet in my essay, or if i don't take any idea or quote from any other author to use in my essay, do i still have to make a work cited page at the end of the essay?
ReplyDeleteYou unfortunately do! Because there is no way to do the assignment without quoting SOCRATES so you have to put Plato’s Phaedrus in the works cited!
DeleteDo we have to quote on paper 2 and 3? Or just 3?
DeleteYou have to quote Socrates in both paper 2 and 3 but only in three do you have to quote two other people you find yourself on the internet using the instructions in the syllabus!
DeleteThanks
ReplyDeleteAs you mentioned, I guess we are right in the middle of a war between Socrates and Lysias about the rhetoric and the truth. Personally, I want to write or give speech based on the real truth which is not the lie or the fake to just convince people because I want to care about the soul, beauty, justice, and I want to matter what is the truth. Also, I like the fact why Socrates wants people to choose difficult things as your example of why we are working on Plato’s Phaedrus in this course. However, I am truly curious why Socrates distrusts writing than speaking. Is this due to the fact a book cannot be answered, and are writing and reading important to get into the truth? If Socrates dose not trust writing is good, how can I write my essay with the “Truth.” After watching videos, a question comes to my mind, and my question is regarding to fact that writing and reading cannot be answered like a painting, unlike a person. Although when looking at a picture, it is important to understand the author's intention or perspective, I think the point of looking at a painting ends with a personal interpretation. Wouldn't books be the same? I am just asking. By the way,I am impressed by pointing that a book can be dangerous depending on who is reading.
ReplyDelete-Jinah Kim
One way of thinking about your essay is that it is something I am going to give you feedback on and then you will make changes to it based on the reactions of someone who read it — that seems closer to the learning-through-conversation thing Socrates values.
DeleteI feel like what socrates is talking about right now concerning not liking writing is like the same generational inflexibility that we constantly see. You can see it right here in the ways that older generations will look at things like the internet and cell phones as these horrible devices that make people dumber. I think it comes from a mixture of memory lapse, fear of inadequacy, and fear or mortality.
ReplyDeleteIt’s really interesting to compare Socrates thoughts on writing with modern discussions about the internet and its value — its the same kind of double edged sword where its amazing that it can do all this stuff, so amazing that people don’t stop to think about the drawbacks. When I was a kid people were really against TV and it was fascinating to see that the things Socrates says FOR speech and AGAINST books were used when i was a kid FOR books and AGAINST tv.
Delete