Labels

Friday, April 3, 2020

Fortinbras as an example of Brooks

One video is screwed up visually but it bascially works fine. One got cut off but continues in the next video. There are more videos here than usual but I will try to give you less videos in a future class. — it just seemed stupid to cut off like 12 minutes before I got to the end of the Fortinbras material. COMMENT

5 comments:

  1. This is a really interesting look at Fortinbras. I hadn't thought about how mirrored he and Hamlet are, but them having the same situations and reacting so differently really puts Hamlet's inability to kill Claudius into stark relief. It becomes even more clear that Hamlet is a thinker, not a fighter to see a fighter, not a thinker. I really enjoy diving deep into the words like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s interesting i think! I have no idea how many people are watching these — it might just be you and me at this point!

      Delete
    2. On that subject (sort of) how long will this blog be up? I would love to have it as a resource for other classes, and frankly I want to watch the videos for the other classes at some point.

      Delete
    3. I will probably leave these up at least on youtube and maybe on this blog also — I am going to need to make another blog if we are online next term.

      Delete
  2. Also watching these, all of them! Albeit late- I had a Brooks moment of coming to my world lit class late in which we were in the middle of reading a play. As the class progressed, I was increasingly impressed by the wordplay of the play and had my mind blown when I realized that the play, TIMON OF ATHENS, was by Shakespeare himself. By paying attention to just the words, the artistry and the artist revealed itself/himself.

    I've never realized before how Fortinbras and Hamlet never come across each other's paths, and how we miss out having them not verbally spar with one another in the play!

    ReplyDelete

INSTRUCTIONS ABOUT COMMENTING!!! If you are a current student of mine please include your first and last name somewhere. (You don’t have to log in to make a comment, but if you log in with your gmail account your name and image will be there automatically). Ask QUESTIONS, or give OPINIONS WITH REASONS or ADD something to the discussion with EXAMPLES! If for some reason your comments disappear — JUST EMAIL ME YOUR COMMENTS