Labels

Thursday, April 23, 2020

Let’s finish David Foster Wallace

The end of David Foster Wallace! And some real questions for you to think about!


7 comments:

  1. There is a page on Instagram called natureismetal which shows the harsh truth of nature (mostly animal), there was a quote or comment i read in that page that i couldnt find again but went somewhere along the lines of 'nature does not give a f*** there is no light or dark, good or bad, those concepts dont exist in nature' animals out in nature do not think if its correct or not to do something they do it to live and see another day, i am just curious of what your thought and point of view is in all of this too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I guess I agree that concepts of Good and Evil do not exist in nature. But human beings do not live in nature, we live in culture and culture has concepts (and inventions) that are not natural but that I think are worth something, such as twinkies, and movies with CGI graphics, and not committing murder when someone does something that scares you.

      Delete
  2. To be honest, I have never seriously thought about how animals suffer so that I can eat food until this opportunity to read this book and to watch the lectures. Of course, I have felt how it is atrocious to eat animals such as beef, pork, chicken, and more. As a Korean, I am unhappy that we have so many raw foods such as Yuk hwe (Korean style raw beef), Sannakji (Sliced Raw Octopus), and Hwareo Hoe (live fish fillet). The reason why I mentioned those foods is that those animals are cut and be eaten in a living state. Some people even eat live animals, saying that it is the freshest to eat while post-hardening occurs which is shame in ethical way.

    -Jinah Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great point and you should discuss this if you get a chance in Paper 4. I am a little unclear what you mean by “post-hardening” — can you explain that a bit?

      Delete
  3. When you mention about boiling the lobster alive for it to be taste at the freshest state, if you about think it, if it happen on you human, would think of the same thing. Would you think it pleasurable to eat. no, not really it gruesome and it cruel.

    In my mind, I'm not in favor of eating meat, I enjoy more of vegetable compare to eating meat. I had the experience of cooking crab and shrimps alive and it not pleasurable. You can visible see them twitch and wince. That why when ever I cook those I usually never eat them. I would think eating meat is by nature, I would eat it if I lack nutrients or being starved. That the only way where I make myself think it alright to eat meat.

    There are meaning to this topic, it make human think if eating is for pleasure or is it for survival. Human though history, started out as hunter and gathers, gathering enough for them to survive. Later in life, the humans learn how to agriculture and domesticated animal for them to gain easy with would have to gather and hunt. making it easy to store up on supplies. Making them to easy gain the supplies. Throughout history, the are rich and poors are unfairly treated, poor only get enough for the time being while the rich have it yearly store up. because of the greediness in the human traits mankind made new way of eating and bring them self to the top of the food chain. Furthermore, there are people in history where they eat some weird thing or even being cannibal. Or even enjoy the power of hunting animal for fun, makes it Physiologically problematic. Makes me feels that these people are maniacs.

    I try not to think to much of it even Gordon Ramsay think it cruel to eat shark fin or killing a life chick/lamp/cow. It only natural for life to have a cycle or have a food chain.

    Vara Zheng

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mention “natural” in your last sentence but I think it is always a good idea to stop and think just to make sure natural=good. Sometimes it does! But sometimes no! Tornadoes are natural but not at all good.

      Delete
  4. Coming from a the small island of Tuvalu,everyone depends on meat due to infertile soil. Every family living on the island have a pigsty containing of 2-9 pigs, and one of the chores I do every morning is to help my brothers feed the pigs, so I actually get to see pigs more often. When there's a family event, it is required that each family will have to kill a pig for a celebration,due to this I actually witness and sometimes actually help kill the pig. I don't know if I should say that or not, but yes, the answer to your question is yes I actually sometimes think of the suffering of the animals when it comes to eating meat, but I don't really put my mind to eat, I think because in the islands the main food is "pork" so I actually am used to eating it even with the experiences I had killing or watching the pig get killed, like you said, its a matter of culture and tradition. I hope that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete

INSTRUCTIONS ABOUT COMMENTING!!! If you are a current student of mine please include your first and last name somewhere. (You don’t have to log in to make a comment, but if you log in with your gmail account your name and image will be there automatically). Ask QUESTIONS, or give OPINIONS WITH REASONS or ADD something to the discussion with EXAMPLES! If for some reason your comments disappear — JUST EMAIL ME YOUR COMMENTS