CUNY’s Spring 2020 term was moved online in March. This is where his classes live till the end of term. Those classes are ENG101-1403, ENG201-1609, ENG250-118w and ENG373-120w. BEFORE YOU START USING THIS SITE CLICK THE CLASS YOU ARE IN BELOW TO REVEAL POSTS FOR YOU (if you don’t do that you will see posts from all my classes)
Tuesday, April 7, 2020
101: WE FINISH PLATO’s PHAEDRUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7 comments:
INSTRUCTIONS ABOUT COMMENTING!!! If you are a current student of mine please include your first and last name somewhere. (You don’t have to log in to make a comment, but if you log in with your gmail account your name and image will be there automatically). Ask QUESTIONS, or give OPINIONS WITH REASONS or ADD something to the discussion with EXAMPLES! If for some reason your comments disappear — JUST EMAIL ME YOUR COMMENTS
These lectures are extremely Interesting and bring so many questions for me. Those things make me to think a lots. First of all, I thought writing is, of course, valuable because writing can show one’s belief, philosophy, justice, and truth to people (readers). Also, the most advantage of writing is that it can transcend time. What I want to say is that if its story, or anecdote had not been left in writing or in books, I wouldn't even have asked any questions because I would not have known what happened at the time and their thoughts or philosophies. For example, now I cannot ask Socrates directly and hear from him the answer because he is dead. Furthermore, if there were not books or writings about Socrates, I would not even have asked Socrates about something because I had a no ideas about his philosophy, ideas, and thoughts. For these reason, I believed that writing is better than spoken language personally. However, after watching whole videos ( after done Plato’s Phaedrus), I completely understand why Socrates considered spoken language is better than writing, or books, and why you considered online class as a writing or in class as a spoken language (face to face). It is because of the difference between speaking and writing which is about a give-and-take. As you gave an example, I cannot ask a book questions and hear the answers. A book is just giving something over and over. However, if I take a class in the classroom, I can ask you questions and listen to your answers right away. Finally, now I found out why Socrates distrusts writing and I am so glad to done with Plato’s Phaedrus!!!
ReplyDelete-Jinah Kim
It is a major accomplishment!
DeleteBefore anything, I should say Congrats to us finishing the book!
ReplyDelete--
I think that the whole idea of only those who are 'privileged' enough to be in your presence being able to obtain your knowledge is actually doing a disservice to your knowledge. Someone who would've never crossed your path otherwise could read something you wrote and be the perfect mind to plant your metaphorical 'seed'. Recording knowledge shouldn't be looked at in the negative lighting of making people less mentally capable by giving them a 'crutch', it should be looked at as a device to spread your knowledge throughout time and across boarders. To look at it otherwise I feel is very narrow sighted, which I'm not sure is coming from bias or from just a general lacking of knowledge of the world around him and how vast it is (which, could also be at the fault of religious ideals in that the gods are in control of everything and whoever is around to receive knowledge was willed this privilege by the gods? But thats just a guess).
I mean I do agree with you — thats why I wrote four books! But those writings have been misunderstood in a way that they would not have been if I had been in the room talking about the books. Tho now that i am thinking about it all this is to say I am just mad about this one bad review I got which said all kidneys of crazy thigns about me and I was like HAVE YOU MET ME, so maybe I am overreacting a bit :)
DeleteSorry, when I was saying 'you' I didn't mean you personally- not trying to attack you- just using it in general. Also, I've often found that everyone is always going to have something to say about anything and everything so unless there's some actual validity and helpfulness to the critique it's best to ignore it. Haters gonna hate, you know.
DeleteAgreed!
DeleteI really like the phrase “haters gonna hate” — it is always worth reminding people that there are people who want to hate things, and that they are going to do that regardless of what you do, and you should remember that you simply do not have control over those people nor should you try to get any.
Delete