Labels

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

201: Iago’s big scene in Othello

These videos take a look at Shakespeare’s best scene — act 3 scene 3 of Othello. This is Iago at his best (meaning most evil)

8 comments:

  1. Iago is reminding of toy story3 the character lotso the bear where he is acting as a nice toy to everyone and have a welcoming to the other toys but when the toys come in to the play center things change. the bear is tricking the other toys and building tension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a fun thing to do paper 4 on! You should do it!

      Delete
  2. I thought was really interesting how Iago tricks Othello to think Desdemona is cheating on him by only saying bad stuff about people in general. He never says anything direclty. It seems that it was all in Othelo's mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is very sneaky! If he says something directly he would have to back it up and he cant cause its all lies, but if he slips ideas in then he doesnt have to provide evidence, he can just let it eat away at the other person who is worried

      Delete
  3. It's fun how some of this section seems to be easier to read as a modern day conversation with quicker dialogue exchanges between Iago, Othello, and Desdemona. I can picture Iago acting like "I've been thinking... well, I can't tell you... I mean maybe you should know... but nah". Seems like a pretty classic trope in sitcoms (I'm thinking about things from the '00s like Boy Meets World) where a main character gets egged on to thinking they are in on a secret when it was just a plot created by the school bully. Not direct references to Othello but maybe passed down from references to Othello.

    -Chloe Friedman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right — one of the weird things that happens with reading Shakespeare is that at first all the old fashioned talk is confusing but once you get the gist of what is going on, you kind of get on the wavelength and can follow it all really clearly. My students are often confused by the first half of a Shakespeare movie but the second half makes more sense — its not becuase the words get easier but because you learn to follow the words better after just a little training. It is like learning a foreign language, but you only have to learn like 20% of it, cause it basically is english.

      Delete
  4. I felt that way once I got halfway through reading Othello. It should make the Tempest a little easier since I'm in a groove now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s true of Shakespeare and its true for books in general — it’s annoying at first but the more you read the easier it gets. I read 28 shakespeare plays in 4 years and just got faster and faster with them. The trick is most people don’t want to put in the annoying work to start!

      Delete

INSTRUCTIONS ABOUT COMMENTING!!! If you are a current student of mine please include your first and last name somewhere. (You don’t have to log in to make a comment, but if you log in with your gmail account your name and image will be there automatically). Ask QUESTIONS, or give OPINIONS WITH REASONS or ADD something to the discussion with EXAMPLES! If for some reason your comments disappear — JUST EMAIL ME YOUR COMMENTS