CUNY’s Spring 2020 term was moved online in March. This is where his classes live till the end of term. Those classes are ENG101-1403, ENG201-1609, ENG250-118w and ENG373-120w. BEFORE YOU START USING THIS SITE CLICK THE CLASS YOU ARE IN BELOW TO REVEAL POSTS FOR YOU (if you don’t do that you will see posts from all my classes)
Tuesday, March 31, 2020
101: Phaedrus and Socrates pgs 19 and 20
4 comments:
INSTRUCTIONS ABOUT COMMENTING!!! If you are a current student of mine please include your first and last name somewhere. (You don’t have to log in to make a comment, but if you log in with your gmail account your name and image will be there automatically). Ask QUESTIONS, or give OPINIONS WITH REASONS or ADD something to the discussion with EXAMPLES! If for some reason your comments disappear — JUST EMAIL ME YOUR COMMENTS
First of all, my position between Socrates and Lysias was exactly middle of them on speech and writing because as you give us an example of your cocking skills, I believed that we cannot be proper or professional for everything which is not the truth, but ability. Therefore, I thought that knowing or being part of something is important as well to survive entire life. Moreover, I was thinking being part, or preliminary is one of processes which bring us into the truth. However, after watching lectures (videos), now my position is completely on the Socrates side because I realized by knowing the fact that everybody works with words. For example, as Socrates says, we cannot make speech until we know the soul, and someone who works with words is the same thing as a doctor. I thought this only applies to writing speech, but I knew it wasn't. I do not want to convince people like a medicine stuff. I really want to write, or giving speech with the truth, justice, philosophy like a doctor. By the way, I am impressed by your example which is about buckets and I like your kingdom where can use “I” in writing instead of third person.
ReplyDelete-Jinah Kim
It is really impressive for anyone to change their mind about anything and I am really glad these readings are making you think about this stuff! You are doing a great job!
DeleteI think that for a long time now society as a whole has steadily been gravitating towards instant acquiring of things/skills without proper understanding. This is definitely prominent in the way high school is taught, like you mentioned, you're not taught to understand you're taught to pass a test. You pass the test, you pass the class. We're shown that truly understanding a subject is just an extra unnecessary step to getting whats necessary to proceed successfully in school, and in life. Without having the drive to actually learn the values and intricacies of any particular skill, subject, etc., you could go your whole life doing it successfully- but without proper conscientiousness.
ReplyDeleteThis actually makes me think of a song (by my favorite band SOAD) called Innervision, where Serj Tankian says "It's never too late to reinvent the bicycle" (that I think was kind of like a play on of 'reinvent the wheel'). I took it as him saying that just because something is widely accepted and seen as something that really needs no improvement- can be improved, because everything can be changed and improved and it's never too late to do so even if it seems unnecessary. I'm not an expert on everything ever existing, but I think this can hold true. This 'reinvention' and overall growth becomes something further out of reach without actually understanding the meaning, reasonings, actual depth to anything and just cruising by on 'passing' knowledge. Kind of like how a lot of people feel as though theres no more originality in media, especially movies, everything is a gigantic mash up of things already done and remakes of other people's ideas. Originality cannot grow without the uniqueness of personal in depth experience and the expansion of knowledge of something that you just cannot get from the passing knowledge that is generally needed for succession today. This passing knowledge is, in a way, an enemy to progression.
I really like that phrase “reinventing the bicycle” — that is what we are doing when we look at old texts, which is going back in time before people decided that writing and books were the best way to learn — it’s interesting to imagine starting over, reinventing.
Delete