Labels

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Talking points for Paper 4 on DFW and Pollan

Talking Points !!!
“Listed here are the talking points for the final exam readings. As you may already know, the Composition Committee pulls together these talking points after we write the final exam questions. Here I have included a brief definition or description based on the readings”
  • Dilemma —
    a dilemma is when a difficult choice has to be made between at least two possibilities, 
 usually equally undesirable possibilities
  • Omnivore —
    a person or animal that can eat both plants and animals for food (The worksheet for Pollan further defines terms like vegetarian, vegan, herbivore, and carnivore.)
  • Ethical Decisions and Responsibility —
    the process of evaluating and choosing something with the desire to do what is right regardless of the cost
  • Consumption (food and in general) —
    the using up of a resource (food or other materials); the total amount of food that is available to eat in a town/state/nation; the total amount of food a person eats; 
  • Culture —
    the customs of a particular people, nation, or other social group
  • Conviction —
    a firmly held belief or opinion
  • Production and/or Products —
    the process of making something
  • Moral Justifications —
    a process of evaluation where a person attempts to make a morally questionable act seem right

7 comments:

  1. Since the essay is on blackboard I'm assuming it's timed? Do we have to be on our webcams to take it? Will there be a set time we have to start the essay and how much time will we have to take it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instructions will be up on this blog and emailed to you MONDAY! You will have to log into Blackboard on the 14th and I think you have till the 17th to finish!

      Delete
    2. Since we have 3 days to take the test are we supposed to do a first and second draft like for the other essays then?

      Delete
    3. I will post all the info by the end of the day! I am still figuring it out myself!

      Delete
  2. The way you run your lectures and class is very different from other english professors that I've had, is there any reason or inspiration behind why you TEACH your classes instead of just giving us assignments to read, write and hand in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many professors want to impress other professors by writing books or giving lectures for professors at professional conferences, and teaching students is just to pay the bills. I don’t care what other professors think of me. I like to think out loud about my favorite books and movies and I like to do it with students because students say lots of smart things in class that help me think better about my favorite books and movies.

      Delete
  3. Thanks some of the vocabulary on these talking points helped me write my essay for the finals.

    ReplyDelete

INSTRUCTIONS ABOUT COMMENTING!!! If you are a current student of mine please include your first and last name somewhere. (You don’t have to log in to make a comment, but if you log in with your gmail account your name and image will be there automatically). Ask QUESTIONS, or give OPINIONS WITH REASONS or ADD something to the discussion with EXAMPLES! If for some reason your comments disappear — JUST EMAIL ME YOUR COMMENTS