Labels

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

DFW part 2!

Let keep looking at David Foster Wallace



3 comments:

  1. I remember a moment when I went to the Lobster Place in Chelsea market to enjoy lobsters, and I can see the whole process from the beginning to the end that lobsters are boiling that I have chosen right in front of me. However, I have never felt any guilty or I have never thought that is brutal for them at that period because I was not doing anything for them by myself until I read and watch about this article and the lecture. Moreover, I think it is really interesting that when “Cows” and “Pigs” get the different names when they died (slaughtered) because we do not need to think about it something terrible by doing that. As an international student, I knew “Pork”, “Sausage”, and “Bacon” are coming from same animal which is a pig. And then, I was very curious why is that so because in my country which is South Korea, we put the animals name before the word meat. For instance, we call “pig meat” for pork, and “cow meat” for beef. and I have never imagined that prepare means “Kill”. Now, I knew why. All things considered, we must think about how we humans are doing cruel things to animals for our enjoyment when it comes to ethics.

    -Jinah Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again its about culture, traditions and beliefs. There are some people in this world who literally have the mentality that "animals are just animals" they believe that animals are less important than we are as humans. For example if my sister and dog were to drown and I only had the choice to pick one to save, will I pick my sister or the dog? I will pick my sister, I value the life of my sister more than I do with the dog. I actually love animals and I don't know why I'm saying this, but I guess I grew up in an environment where people think of animals as just animals nothing more...

    ReplyDelete

INSTRUCTIONS ABOUT COMMENTING!!! If you are a current student of mine please include your first and last name somewhere. (You don’t have to log in to make a comment, but if you log in with your gmail account your name and image will be there automatically). Ask QUESTIONS, or give OPINIONS WITH REASONS or ADD something to the discussion with EXAMPLES! If for some reason your comments disappear — JUST EMAIL ME YOUR COMMENTS